Friday, July 5, 2024

Ryan Garcia Expelled by WBC for Racist and Disparaging Comments


 American professional boxer Ryan Garcia has been expelled by the World Boxing Council (WBC) after repeatedly using racial slurs against Black people and making disparaging comments about Muslims during a livestream on social media.

WBC President Mauricio Sulaiman announced Garcia's expulsion on the social media platform X, stating, “Exercising my authority as president of the WBC, I am hereby expelling Ryan Garcia from any activity with our organization. We reject any form of discrimination.”

Garcia later issued a partial apology on X, saying, “I was trolling. I want all the killing to stop. I love everyone sorry if I offended you.”

Oscar De La Hoya, who promotes Garcia, condemned his comments in a social media post on Friday, stating, "There is no room for hate or intolerance at my company. Period. I condemn Ryan's words in the strongest terms possible. I see that he has apologized, and that is a start—but it is only a start to earn back the trust and respect of those of us who have and continue to support him. We hope Ryan will use the time he has away from the sport to work through the issues he has publicly discussed. We stand ready to help in whatever we can."

In addition to this controversy, last month Garcia's shocking upset victory over Devin Haney in April was changed to a no-contest after he tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. The New York State Athletic Commission suspended Garcia for a year, requiring him to forfeit the £790,000 ($1 million) he earned from the fight and pay a $10,000 fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment