American singer, actress, and pop icon Ariana Grande recently opened up about dealing with criticism regarding her appearance during a promotional event for her upcoming movie Wicked. The 31-year-old star became visibly emotional when asked how she handles public scrutiny about her looks, particularly comments about her weight loss.
The candid moment occurred during an interview with French influencer and journalist Sally. The question visibly moved Grande, prompting her Wicked co-star Cynthia Erivo, 37, to offer a reassuring gesture.
Reflecting on her years in the public eye, Grande described the constant criticism as relentless.
"I’ve been kind of doing this in front of the public... a specimen in a petri dish really, since I was 16 or 17," she said. "I’ve heard every version of what’s wrong with me. You fix it, and then it’s wrong for different reasons."
Grande revealed that such scrutiny, particularly about her appearance, has been a persistent and painful part of her life. She likened it to the challenges anyone might face when receiving unsolicited comments, even from close family.
"Even at Thanksgiving dinner, when someone’s granny says, ‘Oh my God, you look skinnier! What happened?’ or ‘You look heavier! What happened?’ It’s uncomfortable and horrible, no matter where it’s happening."
The singer condemned the societal "comfortability" of commenting on others' looks, labeling it a harmful practice.
"There’s a comfortability that people have commenting on that which I think is really dangerous," she said. "It’s dangerous for all parties involved. From what you’re wearing to your body to your face, it’s all just noise."
Grande asserted that she has learned to block out negativity. "I just don’t invite it in anymore. It’s not welcome. I have work to do, I have a life to live, and I have so much love to give. I don’t leave space for it anymore."
Offering advice to others facing similar challenges, Grande urged people to prioritize their mental health and well-being.
"However, you all can protect yourselves from that noise, whether it’s at a family reunion or online... I don’t care if you have to delete your app entirely. You keep yourself safe because no one has the right to say anything about you."
The interview follows weeks of fan speculation about Grande’s health after her noticeably slimmer appearance sparked concern online. While some expressed worry, the singer’s comments underline her determination to focus on self-care and resist external pressures.
As Grande continues her journey with Wicked and beyond, her message stands as a powerful reminder to respect others’ boundaries and approach conversations about appearance with empathy and sensitivity.
No comments:
Post a Comment