At least eight deputies from the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department have been dismissed for their involvement in the arrest and beating of transgender man Emmett Brock in February 2023. The incident, which has sparked widespread outrage, is still under investigation by the FBI.
Deputy Joseph Benza III, the primary officer responsible for the assault, pleaded guilty last week to one felony count of deprivation of rights under the color of law. This charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison. Benza’s actions, which included excessive use of force during Brock's arrest, were allegedly covered up by him and other deputies, with details of the incident being intentionally obscured.
The department confirmed the firing of multiple deputies, but did not disclose the exact number. However, six sources within the agency revealed that a total of eight deputies, including several sergeants, have been terminated. Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert G. Luna condemned Benza’s conduct, emphasizing that it undermined the department’s integrity and the trust of the community.
Benza’s defense attorney, Tom Yu, stated that while the initial use of force may have been justified, subsequent actions by Benza, including his conduct during the arrest and the handling of the situation, were problematic. Benza is scheduled to return to court on January 17 to face further proceedings.
The events leading to the arrest occurred when Brock, a 23-year-old high school teacher, passed by Benza while he was engaged in an argument with a woman on the roadside. After Brock gave the officer the middle finger, Benza followed him for nearly two miles, abandoning a domestic violence call in the process. Benza allegedly told another deputy that he intended to use force when stopping Brock.
The confrontation escalated when Brock stopped at a 7-Eleven parking lot, where Benza approached him, stating, “I just stopped you,” without offering a reason for the stop. The altercation, which was captured on video, shows Benza using excessive force to subdue Brock, who screamed for help and repeatedly stated that he was not resisting. Brock suffered bruises, scrapes, and a concussion during the incident.
Brock was initially charged with three felonies and a misdemeanor, but all charges were later dropped, and a judge declared him innocent. During booking, Brock was allegedly subjected to degrading treatment by officers, who questioned his gender despite his official identification listing him as male.
Benza’s initial account of the incident was contradicted by other evidence. He claimed that Brock had bitten him and tried to punch him, but medical reports found no bite marks. Further investigation revealed that Benza and other deputies may have attempted to obstruct the investigation by deleting crucial evidence and altering their statements.
Brock, who lost his teaching job three days after the incident, is now working at a homeless shelter and preparing to graduate with a master’s degree. He expressed ongoing anxiety about the lasting effects of the assault, particularly when driving, but said the outcome of the case provided him with some peace of mind.
Brock and his lawyer are pursuing a federal case against Los Angeles County, Benza, and the other involved deputies, seeking justice for the false imprisonment, civil rights violations, and assault he endured.
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment