Saturday, June 22, 2024

Anthony Joshua Considers Opening Care Home for Retired Boxers


 Anthony Joshua, the former world heavyweight champion, revealed he is contemplating opening a care home for retired boxers facing health issues. During an interview with Lauren Laverne on BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs, Joshua shared that he had discussed the challenges ex-fighters endure with his former boxing coach, John Oliver.

“They suffer alone, so we’ve been discussing opening a care home,” Joshua said. “That would be part of my boxing legacy – giving back to the sport that shaped me.”

Reflecting on the dangers of boxing, the 34-year-old emphasized the importance of health. “The one thing I hope for is to keep my health intact. Health is the most important thing you’re putting on the line,” he stated. “We notice when fighters’ health deteriorates, but we never talk about it. We only focus on winning.”

Joshua also recounted how boxing transformed his life as a teenager. Born in Watford, he spent part of his childhood at a boarding school in Nigeria. Returning to the UK as a teenager, he had run-ins with the police and was banned from Watford town centre for fighting. “I started getting in trouble – I wanted to make money wheeling and dealing,” he said. At 17, after moving to London with his mother, he got involved in selling drugs and ended up living in a hostel.

His cousin Ben introduced him to Finchley Amateur Boxing Club. “I’m really glad I found boxing – it changed me a lot,” Joshua reflected. “You can turn your life around if you focus.” Three years later, he was competing in the Olympics. This August marks 12 years since he won a gold medal at London 2012, defeating Roberto Cammarelle. Olympic training was “really tough,” he recalled, noting the intense psychological pressure, especially after a defeat. “I’ve broken down when I’ve lost before.” He once spent five days in a dark room to help himself heal.

Joshua mentioned his love for music and how it sets the tone for his training. Among his chosen tracks is Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger, a classic boxing anthem, and Stormzy’s Shut Up, a former ring walk track.

As he plans for the future, Joshua is focusing on the business side of boxing to ensure a secure retirement. Addressing his decision to fight big-money matches in Saudi Arabia, criticized for its poor human rights record, he said, “I’m there for boxing. I don’t get involved in the politics.”

Joshua’s son, JJ, is eight years old. Joshua hopes he doesn’t follow in his footsteps into boxing. “If I was to choose, I’d ask him to look at accountancy,” he concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment