Ibrahim Shekarau, the former Governor of Kano State, firmly denied ever accepting bribes from contractors during his tenure. Speaking at a news briefing in Abuja, Shekarau addressed the media to unveil activities commemorating the 70th Anniversary of the Muslim Student’s Society of Nigeria (MSSN).
During the briefing, Shekarau emphasized his integrity, stating, “I may not be the only one, but I am one of the very few governors who, for eight years, never touched local government funds. In my 44 years of public leadership, I have never negotiated with any contractor. I am proud to say I have never taken any money from any contractor. My only possession today is my house in Kano, while I still live in a rented house in Abuja.”
Shekarau attributed his adherence to these principles to the moral training he received from MSSN. He also expressed his commitment to the MSSN’s mission of strengthening the Muslim community in various aspects, including education, economics, spirituality, and politics.
As the Deputy Chairman of the MSSN Board of Trustees, Shekarau announced that the society, which boasts 37,000 branches nationwide, will continue to enhance unity and encourage political and governance participation among its members. He also highlighted recent achievements, including the establishment of a new National Headquarters after a decade-long struggle for land in Abuja.
Shekarau reflected on the challenges faced by MSSN, noting that it took over ten years to secure land for their headquarters in Gwarinpa, where they have recently built a mosque. The MSSN was founded in 1954 to promote Islamic brotherhood and faith as a means to achieve global peace.
The former governor’s remarks and the MSSN’s ongoing efforts underline a commitment to ethical leadership and community development.
No comments:
Post a Comment