Friday, October 18, 2024

Airport Technician Speaks Out After Losing Leg in 77-Tonne Plane Accident

 

Rail Khasanov, a 22-year-old airport technician, has shared his experience for the first time after losing his leg in a devastating accident involving a 77-tonne plane. Khasanov, an employee of Ural Airlines, was preparing an Airbus A320 for takeoff at Koltsovo Airport in Yekaterinburg, Russia, when the pilot unexpectedly began taxiing, crushing his legs in May 2024.

Footage from the incident shows Khasanov collapsing on the tarmac as the plane slowly moved forward. He struggled to free himself but was unable to do so as the jet stopped.

Recalling the horrifying moment, Khasanov said, "I remember the incident perfectly. A huge wheel drove along my leg and stopped. At first, I thought it was a nightmare, but I couldn’t wake up. The shock numbed the pain, but I soon felt my bones burst."

Khasanov remained trapped under the plane for seven minutes before emergency services rushed him to the hospital. "I was fully conscious while lying under the plane," he said. "I even managed to text my mother, ‘Mum, I was hit by a plane.’ In the ambulance, I explained what happened before passing out due to blood loss."

Placed in a medically induced coma, Khasanov woke up five days later to find that doctors had amputated his leg at the hip. "I knew while I was still under the plane that my leg was beyond saving. But I was alive and talking, and that’s what mattered," he reflected.

Investigators held the aircraft commander responsible for the incident and ordered him to pay compensation of approximately £16,000 to Khasanov. Despite this, Khasanov expressed understanding, saying, "He has a family, children, a mortgage. Who would benefit if he were unable to work? Their lives would be ruined too."

Still employed by Ural Airlines, Khasanov is undergoing rehabilitation and preparing to return to work with a prosthetic leg. "It’s challenging enough with two legs, but the company has assured me they will find a new role for me. I know I’ll have to learn something new, but I’m ready for that," he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment