Thursday, December 26, 2024

Trump Administration to Revive Family Detention Centers in Immigration Crackdown, Says Border Czar

 

The incoming Trump administration plans to reinstate the controversial policy of detaining families with children in immigration centers, according to Tom Homan, the newly appointed "border czar." The initiative is part of a broader effort to deport undocumented immigrants, including families with U.S.-born children, Homan confirmed in an interview with The Washington Post.

Homan, known for implementing the widely criticized family separation policy during Donald Trump’s first presidency, stated that immigrant parents would face a difficult decision: to leave the U.S. as a family or separate from their American-born children, who are citizens by birthright.

The policy will involve constructing "soft-sided" tent structures similar to those used previously to handle immigration surges at the southern border. "We’re going to need to construct family facilities," Homan said, adding that the number of beds required will depend on data yet to be analyzed.

Family detention was largely phased out under President Joe Biden in 2021, when three facilities housing about 3,000 beds were closed following criticism from pediatricians and immigration advocates, who cited the harm caused to children. Homan’s plans mark a sharp reversal of Biden-era policies.

Homan emphasized the administration’s intent to deport undocumented families as a unit while acknowledging legal restrictions that prevent the government from deporting U.S.-born children. He placed responsibility for family separations on immigrant parents. "You knew you were in the country illegally and chose to have a child. So you put your family in that position," he said.

Despite concerns over humanitarian implications, Homan defended the approach, stating, "We need to show the American people we can do this and not be inhumane about it. We can’t lose the faith of the American people."

The incoming administration also plans to reinstate other stringent measures from Trump’s first term. These include the "remain in Mexico" program, which forces asylum seekers to wait outside the U.S. while their applications are processed, and large-scale worksite enforcement raids targeting undocumented workers.

Although Homan will not directly oversee Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)—a role likely to fall to Kristi Noem, Trump’s nominee for Secretary of Homeland Security—he is expected to play a key role in shaping policy.

Homan downplayed the use of military personnel in enforcement actions, saying arrests would focus on individuals with criminal records and would be carried out by trained law enforcement officials. However, he reiterated his past threats to jail local officials who oppose deportations, reflecting the administration's tough stance.

During Trump’s first presidency, Homan spearheaded the "zero tolerance" policy that separated thousands of children from their parents at the border, drawing widespread condemnation. His return to a prominent role signals a renewed push for aggressive immigration measures.

Critics warn that the proposed policies risk causing further harm to vulnerable families while reigniting debates over the humanitarian cost of immigration enforcement. However, Homan maintains that the measures are necessary to enforce U.S. immigration laws and regain public trust.

With these policies, the Trump administration aims to deliver on its pledge to deport millions of undocumented immigrants, despite legal, logistical, and ethical challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Helsinki Turns Data Center Waste Heat Into Clean Energy for Homes

Finland is leading a new wave of sustainable energy innovation , and the city of Helsinki is at the center of it. Local energy company Hel...